posted on 24th Apr 2013
Happy writers Wednesday! Here is our latest blog on our top ways to guarantee your wedding day wow factor!
1. While your guests are being seated, set the mood with evocative music. We love Paramore’s The Only Exception, Ben Howard’s Old Pine and James Vincent McMorrow’s rendition of Higher Love.
2. It’s all about timing- send your bridesmaids, page boys and flower girls down the aisle first for extra build up, then make your grand entrance to the crescendo of a romantic song. Gosfield Hall’s lovely long aisle will give every one time to get in the mood!
3. Personalise your vows à la Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds – we’re guessing there wasn’t a dry eye in the house when the pair promised to “support and love each other and to make each other laugh”.
4. Pick a cute extract from a children’s book and ask your flower girls to read alternate lines. Margery Williams’ The Velveteen Rabbit and Oh, The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss are firm favourites. Make sure they practise beforehand though so your cute moment doesn’t become a comedy!
5. Surprise your guests with a choir while you’re signing the register. If they weren’t already welling up at your vows then this will definitely get them going. Bonus points for getting them on their feet.
6. For a fun take on the speeches (and to help take the pressure off any nervous Grooms or best men) have the text neatly written on chalkboards hung in vintage frames around the venue so guests can stop to read them throughout the day.
7. Friends from overseas can’t be there on the day? No problem. Have them record a video message so you can play it as a special toast.
8. In your speech (yes, Brides can give them too!), thank friends and family who have helped you by sharing a precious memory or moment you have spent with them.
9. For smaller dos, create an intimate atmosphere by hand-writing personal messages on the back of place cards. It will take some time, but the reaction from your guests will make it all worth while. Using Gosfield Hall’s own stationery range will give them the gilded crest as a memento too.
10. Instead of favours, make donations to a charity that’s important to you- Cancer Research UK and The British Heart Foundation offer pin badges and cards in return to give to guests as a thank you.
11. Lights, camera, action! Create movie magic with a slideshow of pictures from your life together- perfectly timed to a sweet song- and play it at the reception.
12. Forget the first dance- when it comes to making your guests smile, it’s the slow dance with your proud father or even grandfather that will have them reaching for the Kleenex.
13. Go out with a bang: there’s nothing like an explosive firework display at the end of an emotional day to make your guests feel the love and give them goose bumps.
Jessica at Gosfield Hall